Reading Detective Reference folder (tool for responding to written comprehension about characters)

I don't know about you, but many times my students lack of vocabulary limits their ability to perform a comprehension written response properly.  Especially when they are asked to tell a character trait or a feeling of a character.  A typical response is mad because their brother took away a toy, etc. 

To help my second graders, I created a reading detective reference folder to help them build their vocabulary and strengthen them as readers.  A big push for Guided Reading Levels F-N is characters: how characters feel, character traits to describe characters, a characters feelings, and details to explain how the reader knows what they know about characters. I created this reference folder to help out my second grade students. This folder includes an example of a good strong written response using text based evidence terms, positive and negative character traits (with definitions and synonyms with deeper shades of meaning), and feelings (with definitions and synonyms).

An example of the front of the folder with an example of a strong written comprehension piece and a feelings reference guide (with definitions and at least 6 synonyms for each feeling) for my students.
A reference guide for positive and negative traits.  Each trait has a definition and at least 6 synonyms for each trait.

 When I passed them out to my kids last week, you would have thought that I gave them candy! They were so excited that they got to keep it forever. 

You can find out more about it at my store here.

No comments:

Post a Comment