Syllable Types Book

Do your students often struggle decoding words or need more practice learning their syllable types? My second graders often struggle with this concept, and need specific instruction on how decode words by learning the 6 syllable types. Throughout the years, I have tried a variety of ways to work with my kiddos on syllable types.

This year, I designed this personal syllable type book for my students to have more practice learning the 6 syllable types, rules or decoding words by breaking them into the 6 syllable types, prefixes, suffixes, and more. My students loved this activity and their decoding skills have taken off.


I introduced  each syllable type activity to my students through a small introduction activity, had students partner code words, and then had students code the word on their own.   To help my kids become better decoders, I taught them to clap, tap and palm their words to see how many syllables in the words. I also showed them the orton gillingham approach where students dot the vowels and draw syllable bridges around each syllable for a word. By having my students learn how to break a word into syllable types and parts, my students will become stronger readers!


Students had practice at all 6 syllable types, prefixes, suffixes, double consonants, adding -ed and -ing, and sorting words by the syllable types.

Find more information about my syllable book here!

No comments:

Post a Comment